Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Glad it is Done!
I have been working on a huge quilt for my friend this last week. It was on my frame for over a week.
She and her hubby are going to love snuggling under this beauty!
Some fun facts;
1. A 120" x 120" quilt uses over 9 1/2 yards of fabric ... And that is without counting everything we trim off after we cut our appropriate strips for the blocks.
2. A 128" x 128" backing requires around 11 yards of fabric. Let's not do the math on how much 21 1/2 yards of fabric costs!
3. I used 24 large m size bobbins on this quilt.
4. It took 14 hours to quilt.
5. There are 17 pieces per block; there are 100 blocks in this quilt!!!! That means 1,700 pieces in the quilt! Wow!!!
I will give you a hint here: when buying fabric for backing, I never want to pay full price. Even on sale, 11 yards of backing is a lot ... Say you find sale fabric for $6 a yard ... That is still $67 for backing. You can usually do better finding a wide backing. They wind up running a little less. When looking for backing for this quilt, I helped my friend find a high quality quilters muslin that was extra wide ... Instead of spending around $121.00 (11 yards at full price), she paid about $38.00. I was a little worried about how the muslin would quilt up, but it worked great and I had no problems. It looks really nice.