Saturday, July 13, 2013

Flying Geese

How do you feel about flying geese?  They have never particularly bothered me ... I love the look of them, and when they're called for, I make them and move on.  Until my latest project ... remember I said I was working on Catherine Hughes' French Turkey pattern ... I did my half triangles several weeks ago ...

Love them ... well I had just started on the flying geese, but had only done a few.  Have been working on the rest of them this week ... I now AM NOT a fan of those darn geese!  See how many I had to make ... I can't remember what the count is, nor did I feel like counting them so I could tell you.  Let's just say I'm sure it was close to 1,000!  Ha ha ... she uses a method that is supposed to be a "speedier" method ... well, I don't know about that.  You know that everyone has their preferences for a certain method to making a block.  For instance, when I make my half square trianges, I prefer to make them about 1/8 to 1/4" larger when I sew them, and then trim them down.  I feel like when I make them the "no trim" method, they never come out nicely, and then I am frustrated trying to make them fit.  That's how I feel about these geese.  They are supposed to be 2" x 3 1/2" unfinished.  Most of them are 2", but that other measurement is just a smidge off on all of them.  Grrrrr ....  

I love the fabrics and i think the geese are really cute!  So my lesson?  I tried something new and decided I don't like it.  I will go back to my old method of a rectangle and two squares, drawing the line corner to corner on the squares, and then trimming the excess away and pressing the squares out towards the edges.  It might take a little longer, but I get a much nicer finish, and ultimately, that's the most important thing!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: