Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday happenings

I wish I had reporting to do on quilting, but I have none!  It is so beautiful right now in San Diego; we are getting 80+ degree weather.  So of course what do you do when it's that nice outside ... you go out and play ... or garden.  We have a huge yard and I am always complaining about how it doesn't look as nice as I wish it did.  Neither hubby nor I are gardeners, and so most days you will not find us in the yard.  I decided last weekend that I could either continue to complain about the lack of a nice yard, or get off my quilting rearend and do something about it.

Now this might not look great to you, but this area was previously covered with weeds last week.  We went to Home Depot today and got a few plants.  Two geraniums here, front and towards the back.  This dirt is like clay and even with amending the soil, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
This area was also covered in weeds last week, and here we have two pink kangaroo plants.  Aren't they cute?  They are supposed to be drought tolerant ...
I have wanted a big rosebush for a very long time.  I have planted small ones, but never had any luck.  This bush is beautiful and we really amended the soil and watered it in.  I sure hope it grows ... I am not a southern California gardener.  I have been here for 20+ years, but still can't get the hang of it.  I was born and raised here, but in my earlier adult years we lived in Virginia.  You picked a plant, dug a hole and a week later it was beautiful!

Now let's see if I can keep the varmints away from the new plants ...
In addition to gophers, and pests, I have to worry about the three furry animals that live here!
 
As well as the big guys that live here too ... they juggle the soccer ball every night.  It doesn't always stay in the play area!
Charlie insists on sitting between them when he wants to play.  He has popped about 5 soccer balls and they are strewn throught the yard ... he doesn't want the popped ones though ... he wants the new one they just bought!  He's waiting patiently ...

2 comments:

jayne said...

Looking good....hope they grow! Souns like
you had a fun Saturday :)

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Your flowers will be lovely! Can't wait until we can do some planting here in Iowa. We have a couple of months to wait for that to happen.