Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Not doing what I'm supposed to!

Ha, ha ... I think I've mentioned before that the way I get stuff done is ignoring something I'm SUPPOSED to be doing and doing something else instead!  It doesn't have to be something I'd *rather* be doing, it is just called avoidance ... well, my sweet 18 year old daughter is going to college on Friday ... we are driving her a mere 1 1/2 hours north from here to Irvine, CA.  Not that far, but away nonetheless ... so I have been avoiding some of the more unpleasant feelings associated with all of this by sewing!

It all started the other day when I had the second part of my three week class ... the first week of this beginning quilting class I decided I really loved the quilt I was teaching so much (I made it back in 2006), that I needed to make another one out of halloween fabric (my favorite holiday and so I have more of this kind of fabric than anything else in my stash!) ...
I have all these charm packs like a lot of people ... it was easy to just put all of them together and make half square triangles ... then they get trimmed ...
See how cute they look all trimmed ... have you tried the Precision Trimmer?  That's the ruler on the left ... my FAVORITE ruler for half square triangles ... from 1 1/2 inches to 6 1/2 inches ...
 Look at how pretty the scraps are!



Not enough charm packs, so luckily I had a ton of stash to go to for more fabric!  The last step before they get sewn together ...


I'm going to alternate the broken dish blocks with these "solid" squares ... and wait until you see what I come up with ... I'm excited!  I don't know what it's going to look like.  This is my original quilt that I was working from


The quilt is the one in the background ... instead of making a broken dish block that has my background fabric in it, my blocks for the halloween quilt are going to be really scrappy.  I'm interested to see how it comes out!


No comments: