Sunday, August 12, 2012

Point #3 and Point #4

This is a continuation of a post I started the other day ... here's a refresher of what I wrote:
This is a thimble-ful of information of all I have done in the last week or so ... quilt four customer quilts; teach a class; work at The Country Loft; help a sweet friend finish a quilt she started two years ago for her mom; dorm marathon shop with my daughter (twice!); bake my brains out in the high heat from the last few days; help son work out heavy life issues ... on top of my normal life!

I was explaining how I choose to see all this ...

Point #3.  Working sometimes is a bad word ... even working at a place you love ... but ... I love my job!  Thank goodness I have a job ... a place that I can go and be myself, that I can create and that I get to meet interesting people that share the same passion I do.  The people I work with are wonderful ... my buddy Mindy and I have the joy of working together again as we are creating a new block of the month for next year!!  Would you like to know what it is?  It's Jan Patek's new block of the month, Pine Tree Ridge ...

How cute is that?  The Country Loft is offering it as a block of the month starting in January ... never done a B.O.M with the store before?  It's so much fun ... the beginning of every month you get the pattern and a kit containing all the fabric you need; every month you make a block and then by the end of the year you have a quilt!  A lot of stores carry blocks of the month, but something that our store has always done is try to keep our BOMs as economical as possible and pass the savings onto the customer.  Often you can see like this year ... our Cotton Club BOM we offered for $19.95 a month.  I know there were several other stores in the San Diego area that carried that BOM and they charged much more for it. 

If you're in the area, come into the store on a Thursday and see Mindy and I creating the Country Loft version ... I know you'll love it! 

We did a lot more talking than sewing, but it got done!
Point #4.  My son's best friend is a wonderful young woman named Alex ... two years ago she wanted to make a memory quilt for her mom for Christmas.  She had never sewed ... she gave the quilt to her without the last border on it because we ran out of time ... Alex was making the quilt over her breaks from college; whenever she could get away for the weekend, she drove down from Sacramento where she was attending school and snuck in some sewing time!

Isn't she cute sewing that last border on?





I just love her as she has become a member of our family, and to see how excited she was to make something so special for her mom ... what fun to be able to help her do that!  Her mom LOVED it of course ... even unfinished!  Well now the top is done and just waiting for me to quilt it!

1 comment:

Linda in TX said...

Alex is adorable - and what a teat for you to be able to teach her quilting! She'll remember you all her life for this. Is your shop going to sell the BOM to us who live far away? Sounds like a good deal to me and I think I'd like in on it!