Thursday, February 12, 2015

APQ Quiltalong 2015

I was very excited to see the new APQ Quiltalong for this year.  There are three patterns using four patches, but the quilt that I thought was just adorable was the first one shown, designed by Lissa Alexander.  You can read her blog here and see links to other designer blogs that are participating in the Quiltalong.  http://modalissa.blogspot.com/2015/01/apq-quiltalong-go-four-it.html?m=1

Ok great ... Reading the directions I first need a bunch of 1 1/2" strips sewn together, then cut into 1 1/2" segments.  I can do that!
First of all, I want to show you this awesome light I bought at IKEA for 14.99.  Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog as being a great little light.  I broke the light bar on my Bernina years ago and have been stumbling along without one.  Even my sewing machine repairman suggested just buying a clip on light.  This light is super bright, stays where put, and has a long neck and a long cord.  It works so well, I am going to buy one for my longarm too.
See all the strips piling up behind my machine?  I used my June Taikor strip cutter (only because I don't have an Accuquilt 1 1/2" die), and just kept chaining my strips.
Haha ... Pile of strips!!  Now to iron them
open.
A beautiful stack of strips, just ready to subcut.  I took a layer cake of Road 15 by Sweetwater ... I loved this line and had intended to use this layer cake for something else.  But one of the new rules for my stash is "no saving fabric."  Not for some old project, not for the "right" project, not for a person ... It's outta here! Let's face it ... We rarely ever follow through with what we intend it to be used for and there is always more fabric we can buy!!  I have lots of Sweetwater leftover fabric and it will pair well with others as well, so that's what I am starting with.  I am going to need A LOT of fabric, so who knows where this will lead.
Ok ... Yay!!  From strips to 1 1/2" segments .. The segments are sewn into 4 patches.  Hey, wait a minute ... That makes a four patch that only measures 2 1/2" .... And I want a king size quilt .... Whaaaaaattt?!???  Tune in for more later ...

2 comments:

jayne said...

Cant wait to start mine...Think I may just start this afternoon...
You have a big jump on me but king size - NEVER!!!!!!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I want to make a king size one too, but it seems like it will take forever with such small four patches!!!