Saturday, February 7, 2015

New Project

I know I have been quiet this week.  Remember when I said I got so much done in January I had to take it while I could get it?  Well I think I hit a little slump!  I've been doing a lot of reading the last couple weeks.  Seems like I need to take my mind off my worries, but that's a story for another day.

I bought a pattern and fabric a couple of weeks ago while shopping with a friend.  I blame it on her!  Rarely do I want to copy something I see, but this just spoke to me!!  So I've been working on it for the last week.

Ta-da!  Isn't it cute?  Made with charm packs.  The Community line of fabric from Moda.  Cut them in half diagonally and then sew the strip down the middle.

It took me a while to lay it out the way I wanted it, so instead of chaining the whole thing together like I normally would do, I only took 6 squares at a time.  Much more manageable.  I thought this pattern looked fairly easy and fun, and then I realized it is both, but ... See where those four points cross and meet ... They all have to match ... Ugh!

Ok ... Marked the 1/4" on my machine with painter's tape to give me an edge to push up to.  I have been using my walking foot solely, and it hits the needle bar and causes the needle to not be in the right position.  That's why I marked my quarter inch.  In order to get it, my needle is moved two clicks to the right from middle!  My sewing repair man is going to reprimand me!

See what I mean about these having to line up?
And I have to get those centers to line up too ...
If you know me, you know that I am a fanatic about pinning.  When I have joins like this, I seriously over pin. 
If I think I am going to have trouble with the seam matching, and I did on these strip joins, I pin in three places.  One pin in the seam, and one pin on either side of the seam.  Works like a charm!
Now all I need is the three borders to put on and I am done, and call it another finish!  Now I seriously have to stop piecing and get to my longarm.  I have several customer quilts to do.  What have you been working on?

1 comment:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Looks great!! I am not a pinner, but I should. It does make a difference.