Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Accomplishments

Today was a great day ... I don't know about you, but I have this really bad habit of rating my days by how much I got done on a particular day.  I guess this can be a good thing ... it's a motivator; but it can also be a bad thing ... if you just relax for a day, you feel like you're a slug!  Today I had a work meeting at 8 a.m., and I knew that if I didn't go to the gym before the meeting, I wouldn't get there.  So I made myself roll out of bed at 6:30, go to the gym, then to the meeting.  I didn't look the greatest, but my friends didn't care (I should mention that my workplace, the Country Loft, in La Mesa, California, has their work meetings at Panera ... not something I have to dress up for) ... then I ran a couple of errands, came home, finished quilting a huge quilt I had on my frame and helped my son fix dinner!  Now that's a great day ... a couple things I was reminded of today ... I work in a great place ... how many other people can say they love the work they do.  I have met so many people through our store ... and we all know that quilters are some of the nicest people in the world! 

Through our store, I gained the confidence to start teaching classes, and have made some of the nicest friends!  Then there is the whole longarm thing ... a business that I wouldn't be nearly as successful at except for the fact that when you work in an awesome quilt store, you have built in longarm customers!

Here's a quilt I did earlier in the week ... it's just a cute little table runner.  Very simple ...

I didn't want to do too tight of a design .. I thought with all the detail in the stars, it just needed a little something to compliment them.  One of the things I have discovered I don't like is when I have a small quilt like a table runner, if I do a small tight design, the table runner is stiff, and I don't like that look.


I used a cream Superior King Tut on top and Glide in the bobbin.
I haven't made a lot of time lately for my own quilt projects ... with all my graduations in the family and visiting and vacations, there just didn't seem to be a lot of time.  Well I've been working on a block of the month and I went to a friend's house on Monday to visit and sew and look what I got done ...

I'm working on my April block, and in that block you make one for April and one for June; the one on the right is the April block ... the limbs on the trees are supposed to reach over onto the May block.  I am so excited to actually have something accomplished that isn't longarm quilting!  If I hadn't gone to my friend's house to play, I never would have got these cut out and put together.  So, like I said earlier about measuring my day by what I accomplish ... sometimes when you think you haven't accomplished much (like my day on Monday when I played most of the day), it turns around into something good ... it's all perspective, right?!!

No comments: