Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Traveling diaries

Good morning, well at least it's morning here!  We are in Irvine, CA which is only about 1 1/2 hours from San Diego looking at colleges with our sweet daughter.  We've already done this with her, but now that acceptances have started rolling in, it's time to narrow the choices.  We always travel with the two dogs, leaving a housesitter to tend to the cat and the home.  Charlie is usually sitting in the back of the car while I pack, just waiting ... he wants to be sure he's not left at home!  This time Sophie was in the back and was not letting anyone else in ... ha, ha!  The hotel we stayed at for the evening is in "Old Irvine" which looks like it consists of a block!  But part of the hotel building is in an old maybe train station, and that's the part we stayed in.  It is so cool ... the building is cement, and they left all the walls like that, so it has a great feel.  It's solid, so the only noise you can hear are the people trampling around upstairs.  The railroad tracks run right behind the building, so we've gotten to hear the trains all night ... I love it!  I'll post pictures later because I didn't take any last night ... we did a quick tour of the college campuses last evening after dinner, and at least we know where we're going this a.m.

A small problem I have sometimes ... I wake up in the wee hours of the morning and can't get back to sleep.  Usually when I'm at home, I get up, read for about 20 minutes, and then I'm tired enough to go back to sleep.  What do you do when you're in a small hotel room where the only door that closes also houses the toilet?  Well, you lay there and hope the time passes quickly!  I woke up at 5:00 a.m., the alarm was set for 7, and the dogs heard something at 6:45 so up and out we went.  That's okay by me ... I really love the early morning.  It's quiet and peaceful ... nice and cool out (yesterday inland San Diego where I live was 80!) ... that's the time that is usually all to me.  The dogs don't talk, so I love having them around, and no one is asking me questions, the phone isn't ringing, and I can just have some much needed quiet and rejuvenating time.

The dogs have been walked and fed ... they are so happy to be traveling they are a crack-up, just like kids!  They get to jump up on our beds and rest ... they think that's a huge treat!  I ran downstairs and got my coffee in a huge mug that I brought from home, and I grabbed a doughnut too (a real treat!).  Now I'll finish my little note to you all and be off to get ready for the rest of the day.  On the schedule is UC Irvine and Concordia University.  Then from there we leave for Santa Barbara where we'll stay overnight and then check out the UCSB campus tomorrow morning.  Have a great day friends!

P.S.  If you like chinese food and you haven't been to a PF Chang's lately, you need to go! We had dinner there last night; haven't eaten at one in a couple of years.  It was so delicious!

No comments: