Monday, March 19, 2012

The joy of quilting

Let's see ... 17 year old child stressed out of her mind about going away to college; 21 year old child (adult) stressed out of his mind about graduating from college ... thank God for quilting!!!  Gathered around my longarm this weekend and sewed away.  Had the t.v. going, it was cold and rainy outside all weekend, and I even turned the heater on in the granny flat.  It was nice and cozy!  I made it a point to leave my cell phone in the other house.  I have really been aggravated about being disturbed when I'm trying to get a quilt done ... then I realized ... Colleen ... you don't need to have your phone with you at all times.  I think we are all so programmed to the fact that we need to be available all the time ... what if my husband needs me, or one of my kids?  So I am never alone and always being interrupted ... not a good way to operate as I start feeling resentful.  The compromise?  Leave the phone in the house and when I'm quilting, check it every hour or so when I take a break. 

First quilt up was this big quilt ... this is one of three I have to quilt for a friend ... isn't this lovely and colorful?  I used a turquoise color of Glide in top and bobbin ... a swirly all over stitch.  You can't see the color of the thread very well, but it looks great!


The second quilt of her's was also on the large side ... she really just wanted a simple stipple ... I used Omni on top and So Fine in the bobbin.  Not sure I really like the lighter threads ... I like the definition of a heavier thread, and since I've been using a lot of Glide, I really like the definition it provides as well. 


 I think the color of the Omni was a perfect match, and even though I like the looks of the heavier thread, I think the lighter weight thread really just helped show the details off in this quilt ... the quilting blends more into the background and you see the pattern of the quilt more.  I like that.

I really love this quilt ... do you think she would give it to me?!  =:)  Tomorrow is another day, filled with quilting!

2 comments:

QuiltedSquid said...

Beautiful job! I'm glad to see your back into the swing of things. I always get lost in quilting...think that's why I do it so often! Take care C!

JustPam said...

I have the same problem with my phone. I am going to have to start leaving it behind when I quilt. I hate to be interrupted in the middle of a row and that is inevitably when the phone rings. I feel that I have to stop what I am doing to answer it. No more!!!!!