Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Obsession?

If you asked my family, I'm quite sure they would describe my quilting as an obsession.  In fact, I think there was a comment today in my house about the waste of electricity ... and I think they were talking about my quilting ... aaccckkk!!  Well I think I am passionate about quilting.  I might not get the opportunity to quilt every day, but I do think about it everyday.  It's like when you can't afford to shop, you window shop.  Well,when you don't have time to quilt, you dream quilt!  I think about quilts that I like, or quilts that I have in my stash.  I think about the list of projects I made in January that I would like to finish by the end of the year ... my list of 10.  I think I've finished three.  A very good effort!  I didn't get a chance to sew today.  Had a hair appointment (one of my favorite things to do!), ran some errands, and then by that time it was too hot to go upstairs and sew.  When I can't sew, during the day when I read my email, I'll jump over to a blog or two and just feed my passion by looking at someone else's quilting.  Today I found a great site where a lady has posted detailed pictures of her quilting.  It is amazing ... I follow it in my mind and try to figure out how she makes such designs.  True artistry!  I don't see myself getting a chance to quilt tomorrow either ... I have jury duty ... the first time in 21 years since my kids were born.  So tomorrow when I'm at the courthouse, maybe I'll see a jacket that will remind me of a quilt, or I'll think about the quilting that I wish I was doing at home.  It makes me happy to think of what I enjoy doing.  One of my friends made a pact with herself to quilt 365 days a year, even if it's just for 20 minutes.  Well, I don't need to do that because I'm aways quilting ... in my mind!

I'm teaching a begining quilting class on Saturday at the store.  It's funny, even though people know how to quilt "beginning quilting" class draws people because they just want to quilt and have fun ... they don't want to have to think!  Here's a picture of my version of the quilt I'm teaching on Saturday ... I call it Licorice and Gumdrops.  But it is available on the internet as a free pattern.  I think it was called Bonnie Huntsman quilt.  It was easy and quick ... a great pattern I thought.  So what do you do when you can't quilt?

1 comment:

Quiltdolls said...

Dear Colleen,

Look forward to reading your blog everynight. I have been asked to do jury duty at least 3 times in the last year. Joshua has even rec'd notices about jury duty. Is it hot enough for you.

Kimberly Naylor