Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Strings and strips

I sewed more blocks on my apron strings quilt today.  Then I started running out of strips ... the small ones, so I decided it was time to organize and restrip the bigger pieces into smaller pieces.  A few months ago I decided that instead of keeping these random size scraps of fabric, when I'm finished cutting for whatever quilt I'm making, I cut the remaining fabric into strips.  I have strips ranging from 1/2", 1", 2", 2 1/2" and 3" strips.  In this project I'm making, I'm using a lot of the smaller strips and not the 2 1/2" and 3".  I brought it all downstairs to spread out.
I needed to iron the strips and then cut them into smaller sizes.  Wow, this was taking hours!

It must be looking worse before it gets better, but this doesn't even show how much work I did ... but here is the final result --

I had to stop ironing and cutting because I was just burnt out!  So I have bins with all the different size strips, and then I made a bin with 4" wide strips and 6" wide strips.  These are bigger pieces of fabric that I don't want to take down into little strips.  I'm thinking they might be useful for putting into backs or something.  At some point I'll get to the rest of that bin, but it's not going to happen anytime soon!

I decided to get my entire Across the Wide Missouri block of the month out and realized I have all the blocks done ... yahoo!!!!  The only thing left to do is the last month which is some applique, and filler strips and then put the whole things together complete with borders.  It looks like I am actually going to get to cross something else off my list of 10 ... now who would have thought?!

No comments: