Saturday, September 17, 2011

Time and a missing block

I started sewing this afternoon at about 1:00, and before I knew it it was 7:00.  Where does time go?  I put the apron strings quilt together, but it needs borders.  Then I started on my BOM ... I got several blocks put together, and then realized I needed to go backwards in my order so I could get it together properly.  So I'm cruising along, and realize I can't find the biggest block ... it's about 24" x 24".  I know I did it ... I remember putting it together, and I found the instructions, so I know I've done it.  After a lot of cursing, and some more digging, I found it downstairs in a little stack of sewing that needs to be done.  So I still have hand sewing on that block ... oh well, at least I found it!  It would have been a bear to redo because it is the biggest block and therefore, has the post pieces on it!  Here's a picture of some of my progress on the BOM today ...
Sorry for the picture, it was taken on my cell phone.
While I was at work on Thursday, I got myself into some trouble ...
These are a stack of flannels made by Moda ... they are beautiful and feel so great!  I'm going to make a quilt for my darling son for Christmas.  Neither of our kids have quilts ... if you saw their rooms, you would know why!  I decided after seeing what Kathy did with my Gumdrops and Licorice Sticks quilt, I was going to do it out of flannel.  And of course I had to buy it now because it might not be around for very long.  I almost had a fit when it was all rung up ... the backing alone was $70.00 (well at least before my discount!)!!!!!  Ugh!!!  The flannels are $11.80 a yard; that's the most expensive fabric we carry.  It's just a shame how much everything is going up in price.  But it doesn't matter when I work in a quilt store or not, I will still buy fabric.  Fabric and sewing to me is like eating ... a necessity!  Am I right??
This is what the entire line of flannels looks like ... they are beautiful.  And here is a look at Kathy's quilt ...

Kathy on the left, Tina, Jayne and the other Kathy
You can see some of the quilt ... isn't it beautiful?  Perfect for a man!  Kathy gave it to me to quilt for her.  It's going to be perfect with just a simple stipple on it.  You can be sure I'll post a picture. Okay, I'm off now to finish the hand sewing on my block so I can put the rest of the quilt together.

4 comments:

Carolyn S. said...

Love the plaid flannels. That is something I haven't worked with,flannel, but now that the weather has turned chilly, it seems tempting. I also love plaids, but don't know why, there are none in my stash. A million stripes, which I also love, but maybe one plaid.
I hear you on the getting into trouble, that's sort of how it feels. I bought a bunch of fabric online Thursday, and am sort of relieved it didn't arrive yet, because now my sis is out of town, and doesn't have to see the box of new stuff coming into her house.

colleencl said...

Carolyn, if you love plaids, you should really check out homespuns. Brushed on one side, and flat on the other. They stretch a little, but they are really beautiful in a primitive way. You just have to not care about that plaid being straight because they aren't aways printed right. The flannels are nice because they are plushy and thick. Nick is always cold and the flannels will be nice and warm, so will make a great quilt! I laughed so hard about your fabric coming when your sis is out of town. Is sounds like your married! I used to hide those things from Stel, but I just don't care anymore! Ha, ha ...

Carolyn S. said...

I was thinking about you making a quilt for Nick, and wondering isn't it always warm in Hawaii and San Diego? I guess not.
I'm working on a quilt for my brother, and I have some woven stripes in there that want to stretch. It's a pattern from a Kaffe Fassett book and you start with a rectangle in the center and add strips in concentric rectangles around that, and the stripe fabric looks so good in there, but I'm afraid it will wonk up the rest of the quilt. I'm leaving it and hoping it won't.

colleencl said...

Carolyn -- The wovens do like to stretch. I like to use spray starch on them when I'm pressing, that seems to help stabilize the fabric. I also will spray the strip and press it before I sew it into the quilt. The other thing that might help is stay-stitching the edge of the strip after you sew it on. That should prevent it from stretching. Can't wait to see a picture when its done. It is warm in San Diego, but it does get cool in the evenings. And we do have our own winter ... Nick is always cold when he's sleeping!