Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Undone plans

Sometimes it doesn't matter how organized I am, whatever it is I am trying to do just won't happen.  Today was one of those days.  I got the back pieced for my apron strings quilt ... I usually like to have several fabrics on hand to use for backs.  I love to piece my backs, using up all the scraps from the quilt I've made, but if I'm in a hurry, I need to have 3 or 4 yards of something available to use as a back.  Thanks to my friend, Kim, I had about 3 yards of a fabric that was perfect for the back of this quilt!  Then I put it all on the longarm ... I pinned my backing on to my takeup leader and realized I forgot to wrap it under one of the poles so I had to take the whole thing off.  Then I pinned the top to its leader, and realized I had it turned sideways, so I had to take those pins out ... ugh!!  I have this one cone of thread that I have used a lot.  It's a great taupey-brown color and goes with a lot of quilts.  Unfortunately I have had a problem with the thread breaking on this one cone.  So one day I decided to put a few lines of silicone on it to help with that, and accidentally put on a line of fray check!  Ahhh .... fray check is meant to be put on stuff that you don't want to ravel out, so that is not a good thing for a cone of thread.  I pulled a bunch of the thread off that got fray check on it, but I still have problems with this thread breaking.  So I loaded it up with silicone and made sure I ran my tension pretty loose.  I also made sure to slow down.  I did have it break on me about 5 times, but I was willing to put up with this because it was the best color for my top.  I need to just take the thread in to the store and get another cone and toss that one.  Sheesh, the things I do to save a few bucks!  I finally got the quilt done and just had enough time before I had to go to the eye doctor.  Then my plan was to GO TO THE GYM, come home and get dinner started and then bind the quilt so I can hang it tomorrow in the store.  Well, I did get to the gym (hurray for me), got dinner started, and then went to bind the quilt.  I realized I don't have anything that will work for binding.  Darn it, I wanted this quilt done!  Not to mention I didn't get the other quilt on the longarm that I wanted to do.  Grrr ... ah well.  You'll have to wait a little longer to see the finished picture!

I did, however, take a picture of my dinner ... chicken enchiladas. 


If you know me, you know I don't like to cook.  Some of my friends (Jayne!), don't think I ever cook ... so I had to take a picture to prove I do, sometimes!  I also made a small peach cobbler ... I made it "light" so it wouldn't be too heavy on calories. 

Well the enchiladas were okay, but the peach cobbler was outstanding!  I didn't like the enchilada sauce I used.  Anyone have a good recipe for enchilada sauce?  And how come mine doesn't taste as yummy as what we get in our local mexican restaurant?  What am I missing???

No comments: