Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Power quilting

Whew ... my back is killing me because I have been machine quilting all day!  I skipped the gym this a.m. because my stomach was bugging me.  It's a good thing because I didn't stop until 8:00 at night, and I started at 10 this a.m.  I'm still not finished.  I have about 1/2 hour's work left on my last quilt, the flannel one, but I couldn't take it anymore, and I had to stop.  I did Judy's quilt.  I think this is the second or third quilt she has ever made, and she never had one longarmed before so she didn't realize she wasn't supposed to sandwich the quilt.  It was spray basted, but I put it on my frame anyway.  I just pinned it to the take up leader and to the back leader and it was fine.
Isn't it pretty?  I used Glide thread in the top and bottom, and it has become my favorite thread!  It has a little sheen to it and I normally don't love that, but I just love how easy it is to quilt with.  It looks beautiful on the quilt too, it just lays so nicely.  I had absolutely no problems in the bobbin or top ... no breaks, no hiccups.  It is beautiful thread.

Here's a close up of the quilting.  She liked this pattern I had done on a quilt of mine, it's called cabbage flower.  I think it came out really nice.  I'm also working on two quilts for my friend, Mindy.  One of them is a table runner for her aunt.  She made one for herself already, and her aunt loved it and asked her to make one for her.  The other quilt is out of that beautiful line of flannels that I showed you a week or two ago.  She and her friend made it for a young man that was just diagnosed with cancer.  I volunteered to quilt it for her because I believe in giving back.  I'm happy to do it.  When I had my surgery four years ago, one of my mom's friends gave me a prayer quilt.  It was lovely ... it just meant so much to have even a group of strangers praying for me.  Every little prayer helps!

I don't know what it was today but I was just in a zone with the quilting.  I don't know if there is a breaking in period with these machines.  Do they take a while to break in like a good pair of shoes?  This is about quilt 36, 37 and 38.  My tension was great and the machine was just flying and it was smooth and sold.  I dont' know what was going on ... maybe it was just one of those great sewing days!  How was your's???

No comments: